One of my favorite big cities is Chicago. Perfect for a multi-generational trip, it has something for everyone. And summer is the perfect time to go. Located on the shores of Lake Michigan, Chicago is the third largest city in the US.
Here are just a few highlights of Chicago that make it an amazing weekend or short-break destination:
* Architecture: Chicago’s Art Deco buildings are just stunning. Stepping into one of them lets you feel the sophistication of the 1920s and 1930s. Chicago is also famous for its skyscrapers, which gives you spectacular views of the city and Lake Michigan. Try a tour from the Chicago Architecture Center.
* Shopping: The Magnificent Mile is the most well known shopping district, where you can find almost any brand name you are looking for. Chicago also has good local retail businesses, too, where you can find unique items and mementos of your visit.
* Museums: Chicago has a really wide range of museums that suit many tastes. The largest include the Art Institute of Chicago, Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium, and the Field Museum of Natural History. The Field Museum is my favorite. With its roots in the 1893 World’s Fair, you can see glimpses of what 19th century attendees saw at that World’s Fair.
* Food: Whether your favorite is pizza, hot dogs, steaks, or Italian, Chicago is going to have something delicious for you. Food is part of the cultural experience of Chicago, so enjoy! Consider a neighborhood food tour to sample local specialties.
* Sports: Chicago has teams for all four of the major professional sports leagues. It also has some iconic sports facilities to enjoy. Depending on the season, you might want to take in a baseball game from the bleachers of Wrigley Field or catch a football game at Soldier Field on Lake Michigan, which is celebrating its 95th birthday this year.
Details and Recommendations
Getting There: You can fly direct to Chicago from Charlottesville. A weekend in Chicago is a great way to use frequent flyer miles that might be about to expire.
Staying There: The Loop is the official downtown of Chicago. This is the area to stay in if you want to be close to everything.
Don’t Miss: A Chicago River boat tour—a great way to see the city. Taking a selfie at Cloud Gate in Millennium Park. Otherwise known as The Bean, this mirrored sculpture gives you a great view of the Chicago skyline as well as yourself!
Contact: Globe Travel at 434-296-0171 to help you plan a customized itinerary for a getaway in Chicago.
One of our favorite travelers here at Globe Travel is someone who racks up a lot of miles this time of year: the Easter Bunny! The travel consultants at Globe Travel will neither confirm nor deny that we sometimes give him a little bit of travel advice for his journey.
Whether you fly, drive, or hop to get to your destination this holiday weekend, we wish you a very happy Easter!
Investing in Experiences
I was listening to the radio a few days ago, and they were talking about the cliché that money doesn’t buy happiness. But then there was some discussion about the exception—when money does buy happiness. According to research, your money buys happiness when you spend it on experiences, not on things.
That really resonates with us here at Globe Travel, because we know that spending your money on a travel experience buys you more than “a trip.” It gives you memories, time spent with loved ones, and perhaps a new perspective. Stuff comes and goes, but your memories stick with you forever.
So what memories do you want to make through travel? It’s actually the perfect time to think about planning a family holiday trip. Maybe this year, instead of exchanging gifts, you’ll decide to travel and have unforgettable experiences, together. If you start planning now, you’re more likely to find the sunniest condo on a secluded beach, the ideal cabin on a cruise ship, the coziest ski lodge. Anticipate the joy of your family. Imagine the endless smiles and laughter. Seems like money well spent, doesn’t it?
To read more about how experiences like travel are the best way to spend your hard-earned money for maximum happiness, check out this article.
What's Better Than a Cruise? A Wine Cruise
Here in Charlottesville, we enjoy beautiful vineyards and delicious wines in our backyard. Now imagine expanding your backyard to some of the best wine-making regions in the world. You can do that on a wine-themed cruise. Catering to wine enthusiasts, a number of cruise lines, especially river cruise lines, are now offering wine-themed cruises. I generally think about them as having one or more of these focus areas:
1. Regional wines: These cruises focus on the vineyards and winemakers of a specific region, such as Bordeaux (France), Douro Valley (Portugal), and the Middle Rhine (Germany). These river cruises give you the opportunity to sail through areas with beautiful vineyards and picturesque villages. They include visits to vineyards where you can wander the grounds, enjoy the views, and sample local wines straight from the makers.
2. Wine experts: Many cruises will have special guests who are wine experts sailing for a specialty wine-themed cruise. Whether they are winemakers, sommeliers, vineyard owners, or wine educators, they bring a unique perspective through seminars, tastings, and conversations that is sure to enhance the trip for wine enthusiasts.
3. Food and wine pairings: Some cruise lines have an extensive wine selection, and give their passengers an opportunity to sample very specialized wines from around the world, expertly paired with culinary creations from the chefs.
Many cruises actually offer more than one of these features on their wine-themed cruise. For example, you might be traveling on a river cruise that highlights a specific wine region, while also having a wine expert aboard to enhance the experience.
When you combine your love of wine with a cruise, you get all the joys of a cruise experience: waking up in the same bed every morning, unpacking once, arriving in a new destination each day, and impeccable service. You also get to enjoy the wine experience without having to make any arrangements or plans: no need to find a driver, figure out how to get to a winery, or research the local wine specialties. All of that is taken care of for you. All you need to do is enjoy!
So let us know what kind of wine cruise you are interested in, and we can find just the one to match your interests. It’s a great way to combine your passion with wine with your passion for travel into one unforgettable experience.
- October 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018